Intellectual Ventures ("IV") is a privately-held, global inventions company based in Bellevue, Washington. Intellectual Ventures is the leader in the business of invention. Driven by the belief that invention sparks progress, Intellectual Ventures is committed to creating and sustaining a market for invention and being the leading invention partner for the world's most innovative companies and individuals. The company creates new inventions, invests in existing inventions and partners with individuals, universities and research labs worldwide to develop inventions. Intellectual Ventures provides companies access to these inventions through a variety of licensing and partnering programs.
The Invention Science Fund (ISF), established in 2003, is an interdisciplinary team that includes 11 of top 50 American inventors. The team is focused on enabling breakthrough technologies to thrive globally – through invention sessions, licensing, joint ventures and startups – in areas such as metamaterials, biomedical technologies, energy, communications, the Internet of Things and more. These inventions have led to an array of spinout companies and products that have received hundreds of millions of investment dollars for commercialization.
Intellectual Ventures is looking for a senior member to join its team. This individual will be broadly responsible for incubating and spinning out new businesses built around ISF’s and Intellectual Venture’s growing life science and healthcare portfolio. Reporting to the Global Head of Technology, the individual will work closely with other key internal and external stakeholders including the founders of IV.
The individual must have credibility across multiple technologies and with outside investors. S/he will have experience raising capital, recruiting and building leadership teams and spinning out new companies. Responsibilities include the following:
- Drive strategy and tactics regarding startups and future invention areas.
- Perform market and technology analysis and product plans
- Developing business plans to incorporate foundational IP
- Manage simulation and/or proof of concept and prototyping efforts
- Putting deals together.
- Recruiting the initial leadership team for each planned spinout
- Providing continued coaching and guidance to leadership teams on the business plan, fund raising, investor relations and other key business issues
- Provide general leadership and management
The individual must have a broad-based business background, technical and influencing skills to function successfully in this highly visible and challenging position. S/he will have experience and strong relationships with venture capital firms and entrepreneur networks.
The following background is preferred:
- Previous experience in a Venture Capital firm and/or a strong track record of having successfully built startup companies
- Successfully develops and appropriately leverages long-term relationships with C-Suite leadership, investors and founders.
- Strong experience raising funds from a variety of investment sources including venture capitalists and large, private investors
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field; advanced business and/or technology degree(s) is a plus
- Interdisciplinary life sciences experience
- Successful track record of incubating startup companies either as a Founder and/or investor
- Demonstrated ability to develop and leverage C-Suite relationships
- Ability to attract senior level management teams to early stage companies
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Experience with IP
- Exceptional negotiation and influencing skills
- Proven history of developing and maintaining strong investor relationships
- Unquestioned ethics and integrity
- Strong business acumen
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Managed ego balanced by confidence to interact with highly engaged and intellectual leaders