We are excited for a Senior Associate to join our NYC team in a unique role at the intersection of early-stage investing, financial services, and strategy. You will be integral in helping to build and manage our early-stage, FinTech-focused venture portfolio as part of a small, thesis-driven investment team. You will also be leading strategic projects for our portfolio companies and our in-house digital product teams.
Who we are
Formed in August 2016, Argo Digital is the tech product development and venture investing arm of Argo Group (NASDAQ: AGII), an international underwriter of specialty commercial insurance and reinsurance products. We are a collection of technologists, designers, data scientists, product owners, and investors on a mission to bring a new type of interaction to financial services and insurance. We do this by building digital products internally while also investing in venture businesses externally.
Our venture practice, part of Argo Group’s $4B investment portfolio, is focused on backing entrepreneurs of early-stage companies spanning enterprise software, fintech, insuretech, and risk management. Some of our recent investments include DeepCurrent, Abe, and BitPay.
What you’ll do
You will lead efforts with regards to every investment opportunity that Argo Digital sees. You will help us source deals by proactively finding startups through research, conferences, co-investment partners, and your own network. You will be crucial in evaluating deals by leading meetings with entrepreneurs and conducting in-depth due diligence. Most importantly, you will be able to flex your own entrepreneurial muscles in helping to further build out the portfolio, brand, and network of our relatively new FinTech-focused investment fund. You will work extremely close with Argo Digital’s Head of Investments, allowing for a steep learning curve and significant input into growing a corporate venture capital practice.
Once capital is committed, we do not stay passive. On the contrary, we de-risk ventures by being very hands-on partners and giving startups access to our industry know-how, resources, and relationships. You will be involved in liasoning with our portfolio companies, often proving out the insurance vertical by running fast together, helping set up each venture for strong growth.
You’ll be a part of a startup-like environment with the backing and resources of an innovative corporate. You will be exposed to all aspects of the product development process by working within the larger Argo Digital tech team, comprised of multiple product squads on a mission to transform the commercial insurance market from the inside.
What you’ll own
- Identifying new investment opportunities sourced through co-investment partners, entrepreneurs, and conferences
- Evaluating potential investments in early-stage companies through financial modeling, customer interviews, market research, and competitive analysis
- Working with portfolio companies on a range of activities, from vision and strategy formulation to integrating Argo Group’s resources into the startups
- Supporting investment execution, including drafting investment memos, participating in meetings with key stakeholders, and reviewing legal investment documents
- Maintaining a keen understanding of FinTech trends through rigorous research and analysis, uncovering new insights to refine our investment thesis and crafting thought leadership reports and presentations
- Representing Argo Digital by attending industry events and conferences and supporting the local entrepreneurial community through active involvement
Who we are looking for
You are an extremely motivated investigator with a keen interest in technology and the financial services industry. You keep a strong pulse on the latest emerging technologies and venture fundraises. You are always eager to advise your friends’ startups and nerd out on Product Hunt. You understand digital economics, financial services, business needs, and love to get into the weeds of why, how, and when a product has fit. You are hungry to transform industries not yet significantly impacted by design and technology. You have an entrepreneurial itch and are excited by the opportunity to help further grow our investment practice.
- 4-6 years of work experience
- Financial analysis experience from venture capital, private equity, investment banking, or management consulting
- Prior operating experience at a high-growth technology company or startup (a plus, not required)
- A strong academic record from a top-tier university (MBA degree preferred)
- A purpose-led drive to transform the financial services landscape
How to apply
Send a brief email with your resume to email@example.com with the subject line Argo Digital Senior Investment Associate.
For questions, please reach out to Rohan Malhotra at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are located in New York City’s Meatpacking District at 413 West 14th Street, 3rd Floor.