Kapor Capital is an early stage venture capital firm based in Oakland that invests in seed stage information technology companies that aspire to generate economic value and positive social impact. Specifically, we look for companies that are addressing lack of access and opportunity for underserved communities, or are bringing about the disruptive democratization of a sector. Investment sectors include, but are not limited to healthcare, education, financial inclusion, employment, and justice. The firm has over 100 companies in its portfolio, including Twilio, EarnUp, Clever and Omada Health.
We are looking for a few great candidates to fill our 2018 Summer Associate class. The ideal candidate will be entering an MBA, MS, JD, PhD or a comparable graduate program the Fall of 2018 or, alternatively going into their second (or third year) of graduate studies. We are also open to individuals with a few years of startup experience looking to transition into a career in VC.
Candidates should have a strong interest in learning about the venture capital industry and a passion for start-up technology companies. All Summer Associates (SAs) will gain exposure to key areas of venture capital including financial analysis, sector due diligence, deal execution, and portfolio support. The SAs will complete projects aligned with their interest, as well as the needs of Kapor Capital. The Summer Associates will also work closely with Kapor Capital staff, who will serve as mentors throughout the summer. Please note that this opportunity was created to expose individuals to careers in venture capital and is not expected lead to a full-time position at Kapor Capital.
- Review and analyze pitch decks and meet with entrepreneurs
- Deliver high quality analytical insights on various technologies and markets on a macro and micro level; provide input to investment team members
- Provide support for various market and technology research projects. Specific activities include but are not limited to: sector research; analysis on investment portfolio returns; and financial modeling
- Assist in deal execution under mentorship of investment team members. Responsibilities may include helping to draft Investment Memos and reviewing legal documentation
- Complete a Summer Capstone project related to candidate's interest and firms need. Past projects have included:
- Helping portfolio companies create a welcoming culture for people from diverse backgrounds
- Researching what services other early stage VCs and technology incubators provide to entrepreneurs
- Sector landscape analysis and strategy recommendations
- Currently pursuing an MBA, MS, JD, PhD in science, business or other disciplines. Students about to commence their graduate studies or who are in their 1st year of graduate study would benefit the most from this internship. We are also open to non-traditional candidates that can demonstrate a genuine interest in venture capital.
- Desire to pursue a career in venture capital.
- Demonstrated commitment to closing gaps of access, opportunity or outcomes for low-income communities of underrepresented ethnic and racial minorities.
- At least 2 years of full-time, post-undergraduate work experience.
- High level of confidentiality and strong work ethic.
- Superior written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of the organization and to the larger technology community.
- Strong knowledge of Excel and Google Spreadsheets.
- Analytical ability. Must be able to analyze data effectively, interpret results, and extract insights.
- Candidates with knowledge of the world of technology startups as a founder, early stage employee, or other full-time role.
- Domain experience or interest in the Digital Health/Med Device, Education Technology, Financial Technology or People Operations Technology sectors.
We offer a competitive monthly internship salary.
How To Apply
In lieu of a cover letter please answer the following four questions at the end of the application form.
Application Deadline: March 9, 2018
Duration: 10 weeks (June 7, 2018 - August 10, 2018)
Please, no calls, emails, messages, personal inquiries to members of the team, or requests for meetings. We seek to give all applicants a fair chance regardless of personal connection.