Work as a member of a ten-person investment team that manages Dartmouth College’s $5 billion endowment, as well as other College investment pools totaling >$500 million. This role will be focused on the endowment’s private equity and venture capital (“PE/VC”) portfolio, which represents a meaningful and growing portion of the endowment, and includes primary and secondary fund investments, as well as direct co-investments. The primary responsibilities will include: working closely with the PE/VC Managing Director and Associate Director to perform due diligence on prospective investment managers and to monitor current managers; supporting the CIO and Managing Directors in establishing, monitoring and enhancing the endowment’s overall investment strategy; and developing tools to monitor portfolio exposures, liquidity, and other key metrics. This position requires a passion for investments; a commitment to teamwork; exceptional communication skills; and an ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously. This position is designed for a minimum tenure of 2-3 years, and it is designed to allow for additional responsibilities and promotions over time, at the discretion of the CIO and Managing Directors.
• Intellectual curiosity and a passion for investing.
• Advanced quantitative and analytical skills.
• Expertise in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
• Ability to grasp new concepts quickly.
• Ability to write clearly and effectively.
• Familiarity with general investment principles and characteristics of various asset classes.
• Creative ability to pursue improvement in the analytical tools currently in use.
• Ability to independently gather relevant information and data.
• Team player.
• Good communication skills.
• Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
• Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse population.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• One to three years of experience in a financial or analytical field.
• Experience analyzing and interpreting data and making fact-based recommendations.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Progress toward the CFA or CAIA encouraged, but not required.
SEIU LevelNot an SEIU PositionFLSAExemptEmployment CategoryRegular Full TimeDepartment Contact for Cover LetterHeather HuffEqual Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Investment Manager Due Diligence
• Work closely with the PE/VC Managing Director and Associate Director in the evaluation and monitoring of existing and potential new third-party investment managers.
• The Manager due diligence process includes the initial screening of investment managers; participating in meetings with the managers; quantitative performance analysis and qualitative due diligence; and participating in internal deliberations that lead to an investment recommendation.
• Work with the Chief Investment Officer and Managing Directors to consider the endowment’s overall investment objectives and asset allocation on an ongoing basis.
• Analyze market trends and pursue asset class/industry research to support portfolio construction efforts.
Analytics & Reporting
• Assist the Portfolio Analyst and the broader operations team in their work on portfolio performance, exposure, cash flow and liquidity monitoring, demonstrating mastery with multiple third-party databases and resources.
• Provide recommendations for new processes, analyses and approaches that will enhance the overall effectiveness of investment reporting.
Communication and Teamwork
• Manage time effectively, working with the team to meet deadlines and communicate when assignments aren’t clear.
• Ensure security and confidentiality of sensitive information.
• Participate in the team’s weekly investment meetings at which investment managers from every asset class are presented for consideration.
• Sometimes attend quarterly Investment Committee meetings.
• Serve as a mentor to more junior analysts who join the team over time.
• Some travel is required to visit with investment managers and perhaps attend conferences.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
--Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.--Performs other duties as assigned.