Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, the organization invests in and helps scale innovative organizations to catalyze economic and social change.
Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations that foster economic advancement and encourage individual participation across multiple initiatives, including Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, and Property Rights.
About the Education Team:
ON’s Education Initiative aims to bring accessible, equitable, and scalable quality solutions to regions where education and employment opportunities are scarce, and to empower parents and communities in the process. We invest in early stage entrepreneurs building for-profit and non-profit organizations with a strategic focus on innovative school models, education technology and adult skilling. Some recent investments have been in organizations such as LearnZillion, AltSchool, Aspiring Minds and Teach for All. In Latin America, those investments have included Geekie (Brazil), Guten News (Brazil), FINAE (Mexico) and Platzi (pan-LatAm), among others.
ON is seeking a passionate and entrepreneurial individual interested in joining our Education team in São Paulo for 3-9 months.
The Extern will be participate in ON’s investment & influence work in Brazil including:
- Supporting pipeline development
- Supporting the review and analysis of investment proposals & business plans
- Performing sector/market research & benchmarking, including analysis of comparable transactions
- Performing competitive analysis
- Supporting deal execution
- Conducting company evaluation and financial analysis
- Providing general analytic support
- Due diligence support
- Support influence activities
- Assist in organizing networking / convening activities
- Draft strategic communications / blogs to raise awareness on critical topics & disseminate learnings
- We are looking for candidates who are either:
- Currently pursuing an MBA, Masters in Education, or Master in Public Policy or a related field and seeking an opportunity for a 3 month period
- Mid level professionals with an 3-9 month extern / secondment program or taking time between their current employment and graduate school
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience, preferably in finance or management consulting, alternatively in education or technology with exposure to financial analysis
- Comfort analyzing financial statements, building financial projections, and identifying key financial drivers of a business
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Strategic thinker with exceptional analytical skills and a “get things done” attitude
- Self-starter with high degree of flexibility and adaptability in a rapidly evolving organization
- Spoken and written fluency in English and Portuguese
- Lived experience in public education systems (preferred but not required)
- Work authorization in Brazil (required)
- A deep passion for Omidyar Network’s mission and approach to social change
Omidyar Network firmly believes that diversity and inclusion makes us more successful in our work, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.