The University of Michigan is one of the world's most powerful engines for scholarly research, service, and impact. Sustaining and supporting the University's robust research enterprise is vital for maximizing innovation and economic development. As a service and resource for innovative investigators interested in commercialization of research, the Office of Technology Transfer is a unit of the Office of Research that plays a central role in helping to ensure that society realizes the benefits of the research conducted on campus.
U-M Tech Transfer enhances research discoveries to encourage licensing and broad deployment with existing businesses and newly-formed U-M startups. U-M Tech Transfer has earned a reputation for performance among the top 10 of all universities through providing responsive, professional service to our inventors and industry partners. Tech Transfer's Venture Center brings together talent, funding, and other resources to help launch startup companies based on intellectual property developed at U-M, resulting in 65 new startups over the last five years. U-M Tech Transfer is seeking an Innovation Program Manager to join our growing team.
Three Primary Responsibilities
- The Innovation Program Manager will be responsible for oversight and management of the Venture Accelerator. The Venture Accelerator is an office, cubicle, and lab facility providing leased space for newly created U-M related startups at U-M's North Campus Research Complex.
- The Innovation Program Manager will work with Tech Transfer leadership to develop and implement startup initiatives that will include an expanded portfolio of value added services, partnering and networking opportunities, commercialization programs, industry engagement, and other activities to build a strong innovation network for U-M startups. This effort will include an initial evaluation of the current offerings and engagements provided by the Office of Technology Transfer's Venture Center.
- The Innovation Program Manager will also provide insights and market research regarding the opportunities and challenges U-M startups face, in coordination with the Venture Center team and Tech Transfer leadership.
The Innovation Program Manager will report to the Director of the Venture Center.
- Manage daily operations of Accelerator including orientation, financial billing and collection, oversight of facility/service agreements and lease/relationship agreements, and general conflict management
- Assist in tenant recruitment and selection
- Facility oversight including liaison to facilities personnel
- Manage telephone, email, or referral inquiries from prospective clients and communications between clients and stakeholders.
- Coordinate meetings with each client on a regular basis to monitor performance. Update, maintain, and submit tenant status forms and occupancy reports on a regular basis, or as necessary
Startup and Accelerator Initiatives and Community Outreach
- Evaluate current programs and services provided to Venture Accelerator Tenants for use in development of a strategic plan to increase the value add provided by the U-M Technology Transfer's Venture Center to Venture Accelerator tenants and emerging U-M related startups
- Coordinate events and activities to engage Accelerator tenants and other emerging U-M startups, entrepreneurs, and members of the venture community, providing education, mentoring and networking
Marketing Research Analyst
The Innovation Program Manager will work with Tech Transfer's Venture Center team to collect data that will support the evaluation of startup opportunities and support the services provided to Accelerator tenants, startup projects and U-M startup companies as outlined below.
- Perform market research to help identify new investment and business trends and opportunities
- Documentation: summarize meetings with investment opportunities; maintain notes and evaluations in Sophia
- Network with and gather information from peers in the University, companies, venture capital and industry experts, as well as the general entrepreneurial and venture capital ecosystem
- Research and work with Tech Transfer Licensing Professionals and technical/business consultants to evaluate the startup project's targeted technology
- Conduct diligence on startup team management if not associated directly with the University of Michigan
- Identify target follow-on investors for startups
- Assist in the valuation analysis via modelling
- Assist in the preparation activities of startup projects, grant and investment applications and memos
- Minimum: 5+ years experience in an entrepreneurial and/or commercialization setting with technical or science-based opportunities
- Technical or science focused consulting or mentoring experience
- Strong background in project management
- Experience working with university faculty, students, and staff
- Minimum Education Requirements
- BA/BS degree with a concentration in Business or Technical fields of study
- MBA and/or an advanced graduate degree is highly desirable
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep understanding of the opportunities and challenges technology-based startup companies generally experience. This includes an understanding of intellectual property, funding of startups, startup management teams, markets, and sales strategies.
- The ability to creatively explore solutions and troubleshoot complex processes and systems, and mentor peers.
- Must be able to closely work with teams across campus and within the U-M Tech Transfer.
- Be independent enough to take initiative without direct day to day supervision.
- Demonstrate ability to execute daily tasks and special projects by setting reasonable priorities, committing and meeting deadlines, delegating appropriately, and scheduling time efficiently.
- Organized, ability to multitask while maintaining attention to detail
- A general knowledge of contract/lease administration is desirable
- Excellent customer service practices
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- The candidate will possess strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by courteous, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, U-M faculty, staff, students, external business partners, and the entrepreneurial and business community.
- Ability to operate a computer and use a variety of common software programs including word processing, spreadsheets, and customized databases is required
This position has regular contact with members of the community and U-M leadership; the Innovation Program Manager will be expected to represent the University, the Office of Technology Transfer, and the Venture Center in a professional manner.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
- Job Opening ID 157712
- Working Title Innovation Program Manager
- Job Title Program Manager
- Work Location Ann Arbor Campus, Ann Arbor, MI
- Full/Part Time Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary Regular
- FLSA Status Exempt
- Organizational Group Vice Pres Research
- Department Office of Technology Transfer
- Posting Begin/End Date 5/14/2018 – 6/04/2018
- Career Interest Research