IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in the toughest areas of the world. In FY17, we delivered a record $19.3 billion in long-term financing for developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to help end poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
International Finance Corporation is the largest emerging-market-focused development finance house in the world. For the past 8 years IFC has built a diverse and promising Fintech portfolio of about 24 investments. It sees Fintech as a critical component of the World Bank Group’s strategy to expand the reach, efficiency and affordability of financial services as well as contribute to higher productivity in the economy at large. As part of this strategy, IFC has created a small but fast growing and strategically important investment group that focuses in Fintech and is run as a joint venture between IFC’s Financial Institutions Group and TMT group, bringing to bear IFC’s best knowledge, expertise and network in this converged industry.
As most industries in the age of Internet, financial services is undergoing a rapid transformation. While incumbents innovate in place mostly around products and channels, tech-enabled newcomers are rethinking the business models and reshaping the entire architecture of the Financial Services industry. We call this rising sub-industry Fintech and IFC has become one of the largest emerging markets Fintech investors.
The Fintech team is looking for an Investment Analyst based in Washington DC. You would be joining a team with strong deal flow, and an existing portfolio of high-profile and high-growth companies. The group offers a great place to build your buy-side investment experience, understand key elements of due diligence, and appreciate how risk is analyzed, accepted and mitigated in diverse settings. The FinTech group primarily invests equity in late venture or growth stage businesses, and actively manages its own portfolio, meaning you will be involved with a company throughout concept, execution and monitoring.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.
The selected individual will be responsible to:
- Analyze financial statements and prepare financial models
- Conduct industry, market and company research
- Prepare investment-related documents for internal and external audiences
- Participate in all aspects of IFC’s deal approval process, including business development, due diligence and portfolio management
- Work with senior staff to help identify viable investment transactions across various geographies through mapping, desk research, and pipeline management
- Understand business operations and different business models
- Help design and maintain proper KPIs for portfolio companies or pipeline opportunities
The selected candidate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree; candidates with strong technical or engineering background, coupled with financial knowledge, preferred;
- 2-4 year experience in investment banking, consulting or PE/VC, or Business Development with a technology company, preferred;
- Strong financial, analytical and modeling skills;
- Strong interest in developing markets, Fintech and emerging technology areas;
- Strong familiarity with financial software applications (e.g. Microsoft Office suite, research and financial databases, etc.)
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills, and ability to work successfully with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills; and
- Fluency in spoken and written English; a multi-lingual background will be viewed upon favorably.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.The position would be based in Washington DC. The selected candidate will report to the Global Head of IFC Fintech group (CTTFT). For Corporate information, please visit www.ifc.org/fintech.
IFC values diversity and encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of IFC member countries to apply, regardless of gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability. Sub-Saharan African nationals, Caribbean nationals, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.