Playground is an early stage venture capital firm based in Palo Alto, with $800MM under management and currently investing out of its second fund. The fund’s mission is to partner with exceptional entrepreneurs who want to build the next generation of category-defining technology companies. The firm was founded by Andy Rubin, Bruce Leak, Matt Hershenson, and Peter Barrett, all of whom have been successful founders and operators at foundational tech companies such as Google, Apple, Danger, General Magic, Microsoft, and WebTV.
Playground has also assembled an in-house team of domain experts within electrical engineering, industrial design, mechanical engineering, software architecture, and machine learning, who all operate out of a fully-equipped startup studio where the fund also hosts a number of its portfolio companies.
In the investments team, we seek to invest in category-defining companies whose cutting-edge products will underpin the next wave of economic and human development. Areas of active investment include artificial intelligence, robotics, sensors, new compute platforms, quantum technologies, next-generation manufacturing, machine learning, space technologies, and other frontier tech.
We are looking for an Investment Associate to join our venture team. We run one of the leanest venture teams around, and as an associate, you will be key in driving our investment efforts. We expect you to be comfortable interfacing regularly with key stakeholders (internally and externally). You’ll be responsible for a wide range of activities, including researching and form investment theses, finding early stage investment opportunities, leading meetings, driving our internal investment process, supporting our existing portfolio companies, and representing the firm within the broad startup ecosystem.
Our ideal candidate has a demonstrated passion for technology and investing, and is able to quickly form a strong informed opinion on novel technologies or business models. You must feel comfortable performing market research, building financial models, and have some fluency in legal agreements.
- Demonstrated passion for investing and technology, intellectual curiosity and willingness to learn
- Humble and self-starter, with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Two to three years (2-3) of work experience, preferably in investment banking, venture capital, consulting, corporate development or strategic finance roles
- Comfort building financial models, performing market research, or structuring legal documents
- Prior investing experience
- Technical background (computer science, engineering, math, physics, etc.)
- Strong existing network in the Bay Area startup ecosystem