ABB Technology Ventures (ATV) is the venture capital unit of ABB. ATV scouts the globe for breakthrough industrial technology partners aligned with ABB’s goal to write the future of industrial digitalization and has invested nearly $200 million into startups spanning robotics, industrial IoT, AI/ML and next-generation energy. Are you ready to move faster?
- Help create an investment portfolio which yields both financial and strategic return for ABB in the medium and long investment horizon.
- Interfacing with BU heads for technology interests in order to create, maintain, and constantly fine tune a relevant investment thesis to achieve the desired portfolio with superior financial return
- Build relationships with universities, incubators/accelerators, financial venture funds, other CVCs (corporate venture capital funds), service providers (e.g. law firms, investment banks) and others in the VC ecosystem to identify and source investment opportunities.
- Originate, evaluate and execute investments in early-stage companies within the investment thesis.
- Conduct detailed due diligence, investment analyses, and business sponsorship for select deals.
- Oversee legal documentation and final closing of various rounds of financings
Adding Value to Portfolio:
- Serve on portfolio company boards, advise them on business development with ABB, as well as general growth strategy for the industrial and energy sectors.
- Plan exit strategy for portfolio companies
Adding Value to ABB:
- Work hand in hand with businesses to fine-tune ATV investment thesis, while guiding business technology roadmap. This is a mutually beneficial and synergistic process by combining internal know-how and external intelligence.
- Educate businesses on emerging technologies from portfolio, and champion business support for collaboration with startup.
- Serve on boards of public as well as private portfolio companies with leading investors, influential technologists and senior corporate executives.
- Continuously balance and negotiate with other co-investors, common shareholders, and management team in order to protect ABB’s strategic and ATV’s financial interests
- Actively participate as speakers in marquee conferences and other forums in order to elevate ABB profile in technology leadership and value-add investor.
- Actively speak at venture, technology and industry conferences and maintain dialogue with VC opinion leaders to keep abreast of latest technology and investment trends
- Maintain close relationship with leading academics and researchers to be aware of basic technology disruptions
- Review over 500 investment proposals a year from external sources
- Conduct deep due diligence on and manage relationships with dozens of companies each year.
- Diligence typically includes thorough review of quantitative aspects (e.g. financial modeling, capitalization table analysis, waterfall ROIC and IRR analysis of future payouts) and qualitative aspects (e.g. customer calls, management background calls, IP/patent analysis, compliance reviews) of target companies.
- Work closely with CRC experts and BU and Division Managers (both R&D and product managers) on potential and current investments.
- Cultivate internal network of both technical experts, and business leaders who can advocate for new technologies
Additional Value Add:
- Be proactive technology scout and innovation evangelist for ABB
- Periodically push new technologies to BU, at the same time introduce BU interests to portfolio for future development.
- Collaborate with CRC and help them formulate R&D roadmap based on start-up trends
- Work closely with Head of Ventures to create a self-sustaining, global investment entity to help ABB accelerate its innovation activities and identify technologies and markets of strategic relevance
- Work in a small, fast-paced investment and advisory team to identify and accelerate external opportunities through minority equity capital investments and the additional application of R&D competency, ABB brand, global channel access and other venture resources
- Work alongside the Managing Director(s) to set investment goals/ theses, originate/evaluate/execute/manage/successfully exit equity investments in emerging companies and to deliver both financial and strategic upside to ABB
- Stimulate corporate innovation and technical literary as an internal ABB advisor regarding new technology trends, start-up innovation, technology threats and opportunities.
- Serve as a strategic linchpin between ABB businesses and venture-backed CEOs/boards to promote business development and strengthening of the ABB brand in strategic areas
-5-10 years of venture capital or M&A experience in a VP or Principal role
-MBA, CPA or CFA
-Engineering degree or other technical background preferred but not required
-Consulting experience preferred but not required
-High level of passion and energy for working with startups, new technology and innovation
-Focus on high quality of work and attention to detail (especially in working with financial spreadsheets, models and reviewing/editing legal documents)
-Focus on continual education of multiple technology space, constantly reading, asking questions and openness to changing viewpoints
-Adept at presenting an idea and communicating a message
-Strong inner drive and "self-starting" capability
-Ability to execute in a fast-paced, deal-driven environment with minimal oversight and many unknowns
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin,citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.