The Global Innovation Fund (www.globalinnovation.fund) (GIF) is a non-profit, social-first investment vehicle established as a ‘VC for fragile places’ to find, fund, and scale-up cost-effective, evidence-based innovations that have the potential to measurably improve the lives of millions of people living on $5 a day or less. GIF was founded to invest in innovations that will inspire fresh thinking and create better solutions in developing countries.
GIF is focused on doing more with less to turn ideas into impact. To achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, the development community needs to draw on the resources of the private sector. GIF’s commitment to being part of the bridge between entrepreneurs and development finance challenges us to be creative and to seek the partnerships that drive creativity, dynamism, and collaboration.
GIF’s unique hybrid model, as both a UK registered charity/US 501(c)3 and an investor, reflects our dual mission: to invest in innovations that improve the lives of the poor, and to demonstrate how bringing evidence and the power of the private sector to bear can create new solutions to persistent development problems. We have built the infrastructure and expertise to actively source deals and invest in enterprises across the developing world.
GIF offers grants, loans (including convertible debt), and equity investments ranging from $50,000 to $15 million to support a range of innovations with strong potential for social impact at a large scale. We support innovators at different phases of development, ranging from early start-up and pilot-testing to rigorous experiments and larger scale implementation. The innovations GIF supports can be located in any developing country and may focus on any sector relevant to international development (see a list at www.globalinnovation.fund/sectors).
GIF seeks to hire an Investment Director (Risk Capital) to help lead the Fund’s risk capital investments. The Director will be involved in finding, evaluating, executing and managing funding opportunities that align with GIF’s goal of scaling promising social innovations through the private sector.
The Investment Director will be an integral part of the investment team and will report to a Senior Managing Director who will oversee his or her work.
- Actively monitoring, sourcing and evaluating investment opportunities across multiple sectors, such as transportation, education, agriculture and mobile money, in order to advise on the significant improvements in the lives and opportunities of millions of people living in the developing world.
- Bring valuable experience to sourcing and developing opportunities to analyses the financial position of pilot, test or scale promising social innovations, including from social enterprises, large companies, start-ups, local governments, NGOs and individuals.
- Critically screening investment opportunities through an impact lens, including conducting due diligence on the proposed innovation’s evidence base, social impact, management quality, and ability to scale and predict the likely long- and short-term future performance.
- Lead on investments; undertake detailed due diligence, research and apply rigorous social impact analysis, and advises upon what will be an appropriate investment to the Senior Managing Directors.
- Champion GIF’s investments by raising awareness about the merits of different investments to external stakeholders as well as support investees attain critical financial and non-financial support post investment.
- Working with the Senior Managing Directors to negotiate investment terms and preparing investment summary reports of findings for review at the Internal Investment Committee meetings.
- Providing or helping source strategic support for GIF’s portfolio
- Identifying and attracting new opportunities for follow-on investing for GIF’s most successful innovators, including with impact investors, commercial venture capitalists and philanthropic donors.
- Monitor, evaluate and manage the financial and social impact performance of investments and interpreting the implications of such information an ongoing basis
- Keeps up to date with legislation and requirements for compliance with the relevant regulatory authority
GIF is a dynamic and rapidly growing start-up entity; the Director will be expected to adapt quickly to the needs of the organization and could have a range of other duties as assigned.
- Experience as an investor at a leading impact fund
- Professional experience investing in the developing world (Southeast and South Asia or Sub-Saharan Africa);
- Experience investing in sectors that impact those living on <$5 a day (e.g. education and agriculture)
- Experience working within a start-up, especially in the strategy and alliances function, within the developing world
- Experience setting up an emerging market focused investment company, including structuring, investment strategy and building deal pipeline
- Experience of working in the field with knowledge of the political, social and economic context of the region of work and the development issues and challenges it faces.
- Proven professional capacity of sourcing, investing in and supporting commercially viable investments in early stage enterprises, including serving as a director on portfolio companies
- Working professional knowledge of rigorous impact measurement, programme monitoring and evaluation, and cost-effectiveness analysis.
- Demonstrable soft skills and experience working with different cultures
- Professional experience of evidence-based decision-making and social impact evaluation
- Advanced degree in policy or public administration, economics, international development, business, finance or similarly relevant field
- Strong professional network of people and organizations with whom GIF can partner to achieve transformative change
- Top tier analytic, strategic thinking and project management skills
- Confident in dealing with ambiguity and proven experience thriving in uncharted waters is necessary.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an aptitude for relationship building
- High energy and an entrepreneurial mindset; self-motivated and excited by high growth environments
- Passion, humility, integrity, team player, proven self-direction and a spirited sense of humour
- A strong commitment to international development and social innovation
- Ability to interact effectively and harmoniously with others
- Ongoing commitment and passion to learn and develop
- Reliance, grit and determination to succeed
Email with the position you are applying for in the subject title, short covering note and CV attached. The opening date for applications will be 25th May 2018 and closing dates for applications will be 24th June 2018.
Global Innovation Fund is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements. If you are unsuccessful in your job application with us, we will retain your data for a period of 6 months from the end of the recruitment process. After this time, your personal data will be permanently deleted from our systems.