We are looking to hire Legal Counsel to support the Octopus Ventures investment team in efficiently managing multiple transactional deal processes.
At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ 500 people and manage more than £6 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Investments, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
To us at Octopus Ventures, Entrepreneurs are the people who create defining moments. Not just the high-five ones. The jarring, rocky, edge-of-the-seat ones too. Few Entrepreneurs go back to their original investors for their next venture. Ours do. We take that as a sign we’re doing it right. Valuing uniqueness, supporting ambition. We find being bold and generous with our time, our attention, our network and our knowledge works for everyone. We never forget that while we are invested in multiple companies, you are invested in just one. We have team members based around the world to pass back new information, new introductions and a global view. We like to be the first institutional money into a seed or series A round, but we have the ability to follow our investment from a few hundred thousand right up to £25 million. The 60 or so companies we’ve backed in recent years include Big Health, graze.com, Evie, Eve, Magic Pony, Secret Escapes, Sofar Sounds, Swiftkey, Swoon Editions, tails.com, Zoopla Property Group and Zynstra. Each one unleashed the progress we and our Entrepreneurs knew was there.
You’ll love this role if:
- You are endlessly pro-active. The investment team is currently around 15 people, and between new and follow-on investments, at any given time we will be working on approximately 1 deal a week. Whilst external counsel are typically always engaged on any given transaction, each deal needs positive project management and close liaison between external counsel, the investment team and the operations team to ensure all processes are followed and the deal is taken smoothly from heads of terms to completion.
- You are commercial. Whilst we want to ensure we follow all our processes properly, you are here to facilitate efficient deal execution in the context of understanding what really moves the needle for our funds. We expect you to benefit from a holistic view of our deal flow and to create a consistent approach in negotiating deals, commensurate to their stage. We expect you to be seen by our entrepreneurs as a real value-add, and we want you to wow entrepreneurs and co-investors alike with your ability to drive transactions.
- You get a kick out of being part of a high performance team. You will be comfortable working alongside all of our team members, external law firms, other investors, founders and investee companies. You will be an excellent communicator and a gatekeeper for incoming queries for team members. You will have the ability to judge when to raise commercial issues and when to deal with matters yourself.
- You want a predictable workload. We understand the value in having a consistent schedule and this role will suit you if you want to work with exciting technology companies and within a dynamic, fast-paced team but not at the expense of sacrificing your ability to go home in the evening. Your first-rate project management skills will ensure that you are always ahead of the curve.
- Must be a UK qualified lawyer with at least 3 years post qualification experience in a corporate role.
- Preferred magic circle background, but any top tier UK or US law firm background would be considered.
- In-house experience and venture capital investing experience advantageous but not essential.
- Comfortable with BVCA and NVCA documentation.
- Able to review due diligence reports and long form legal investment documentation and advise on position Octopus should take and amendments to be made.
- Happy to multi-task and manage a variety of transactions at any given time.
- Great team player and capable of working proactively in a fast-paced environment.
- Have a friendly demeanour, fantastic organisational skills, with a great attention to detail.
- Be freethinking and able to spot and help implement new efficiencies where appropriate.
- Enjoy liaising with different kinds of people, representing Ventures internally and externally.
- Have an interest in learning more about the companies we invest in, the industry and applying this knowledge to the role as you learn more.
- Want to be part of a tight and ambitious team with shared values – to be one team, be bold, be straightforward, be helpful.
Random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place so, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile
Life is complicated enough. Don’t make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
Every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you’ve got a great idea, don’t keep it to yourself.
At Octopus, we recognise the importance of embracing diversity in order to create a high performance culture.