The Venture Capital Business Analyst at Optum Ventures is an emerging leader in conducting high level research and develops financial analysis to support investment decision making. In addition, the Analyst will support the team in the performance of due diligence to evaluate and assess investment opportunities. This person is a creative, strategic thinker who applies broader concepts and historical context to today’s challenges as we invest in digital health companies that use data and insights to help improve consumers’ access to health care services and how care is delivered and paid for, and that make the health care system more reliable and easier to navigate. The Venture Capital Business Analyst is an integral member of the team, and a true self-starter, responsible for providing leadership with research, analysis, and diligence to support strategic direction and decision making rigor.
Position will work collaboratively with a team of executives, senior leaders, and analysts from across the business to:
- Research the healthcare venture capital landscape in the United States, and globally
- Prepare financial and economic analysis
- Identify pros, cons and other strategic considerations
- Structure collaboration with all segments of the UnitedHealth Group business, from strategic, financial legal, tax, accounting and economic standpoints
- Perform due diligence
- Monitor competitive landscape, actions and responses
- Advance specific value creating initiatives
Position will provide executive management with confidence that material strategic initiatives are rigorously assessed and appropriately structured to achieve acceptable financial returns and risk.
As a key member of our fast-paced team, this position would put you at the forefront of significant growth initiatives, providing extensive exposure to executive and senior leadership throughout our organization and an opportunity to transform health care.
- Conduct high – level research and assessments using publicly available resources such as research reports, SEC filings, industry information, etc.
- Develop financial models with appropriate underlying assumptions
- Perform specific financial and valuation analysis
- Analyze industry trends, competitive threats and expansion opportunities
- Work with UnitedHealth Group executives and senior business segment leadership to develop strategic rationale and initiatives to advance external growth
- Support large cross-functional teams working on complex growth – related strategic initiatives across UnitedHealth Group
- Participate in the planning, design, development and implementation of major business initiatives
- Act as subject matter expert for senior leaders across UnitedHealth Group related to our disciplined process to evaluate growth-related opportunities
- Maintain effective communications with all levels of management that foster a collaborative atmosphere
- 1 or more years of experience within investment banking or venture capital, or private equity and / or management consulting
- 1 or more years of financial modeling and / or valuation experience
- Intermediate proficiency within Excel
- Based: Boston, MA or Menlo Park, CA
- BS / BA degree
- Intellectually curious with ability to learn and work within fast-paced environment
- Strong market research skills including within the technology and healthcare sectors
- Self – starter with demonstrated creativity and initiative
- Exceptional problem solving with ability to work in a fast-paced challenging environment
- Strong planning, organization, analytical and problem – solving skills
- Effective communications skills and proven team commitment
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and build effective business partnerships at senior levels
- High energy, detail oriented and creative individual