Conservation Law Foundation Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) has an immediate opening in its Boston office for a full-time (1.0 FTE) Impact Investment Associate in the Ventures program. This new position will work with an interdisciplinary team of staff, consultants, and partners committed to solving critical environmental and public health challenges through capital investment, impact measurement, knowledge creation, and community partnerships. Building on the success of the Healthy Neighborhoods Equity Fund (HNEF I) and the Healthy Neighborhoods Study (HNS), and with significant new support from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and The Kresge Foundation, Ventures is poised to grow its impact in New England and nationally.
This position will be responsible for working with the Ventures team and our HNEF partner, the Massachusetts Housing Investment Corporation (MHIC), as well as other internal and external stakeholders on fund structuring, pipeline development, and investor outreach for equity and loan products designed to foster healthy, resilient, stable, mixed-income neighborhoods through investments in equitable Transit-Oriented Development (TOD), affordable and workforce housing, retail and commercial space, and small business/social enterprise. Based on market demand and interest there may be an opportunity to work on multiple funds in a sponsorship and/or consulting role.
Under the supervision of the Director of Fund Development, the Impact Investment Associate will be responsible for: i) research and due diligence on all Ventures social impact investing initiatives; ii) analysis of prospective and selected investment activities; iii) working collaboratively with community investment partners and stakeholders; iv) competitive landscape analysis, best practice research, reports and monitoring; and, v) reporting to funders on related investment work.
This position requires an understanding of financing tools and strategies for affordable housing and commercial real estate development paired with a commitment to bringing new sources of mission-oriented capital to low income and underserved communities. Experience with impact investing, green and healthy homes, energy efficiency, and/or renewable energy is a plus. Candidates should have at least five years of progressive management experience in community development, real estate development and/or finance, demonstrated ability to collaborate with multi-sector teams, and motivation to engage with diverse community groups and populations.
- Support the overall Ventures impact investment strategy and portfolio.
- Support the development and management of new impact investment funds.
- Assist with financial and impact evaluation related to fund investments.
- Assist with legal contracts, partnership agreements and MOUs.
- Align and coordinate investment work with key stakeholders, including Massachusetts Housing Investment Corporation.
- Use data from the Ventures research team, particularly the health and wellness community metrics from HealthScore 2.0 and the findings from the Healthy Neighborhood Study, to inform investment strategies and impact measurement.
- Assist with editing and formatting of investment/fund documents and materials.
- Compose short articles, blogs and communications materials related to impact investing work.
- Contribute to deeper integration of Ventures with other CLF programs by applying market strategies across multiple programs, states, and advocacy areas.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Masters degree in Business, Finance, Urban Planning, Community Development or a related discipline.
- Minimum of five years progressive experience in community-based real estate development, finance, and/or social impact investment initiatives.
- Strong sense of urgency and responsibility to achieve deadlines and goals.
- Entrepreneurial, resourceful, results oriented.
- Ability to proactively and collaboratively manage projects against tight timelines.
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Excel.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
Salary and Benefits
The Impact Investment Associate is a full-time position. Occasional evenings are required for meetings with community organizations and partners. Some domestic travel is also required. CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open, inclusive, and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected.
To Apply: Send your resume titled “your last name-first initial-resume” (e.g. “SMITH J RESUME”) and a detailed cover letter titled “your last name-first initial-cover” (e.g. “SMITH J COVER”) to email@example.com. Please make “Impact Investment Associate” the subject of your e-mail. Application materials must be received no later than July 27th. No phone calls please.