Knollwood Investment Advisory, founded in 1990, invests in established and emerging venture capital and private equity fund managers, directly in expansion stage venture-backed companies, and in secondary investments in companies.
Leveraging nearly 3 decades of experience and an extensive global network, Knollwood invests capital, resources, and expertise to enable its portfolio companies to scale rapidly. Whether entrepreneurs sell to businesses, consumers or both, Knollwood offers a powerful platform to support their growth trajectories and initiatives. Knollwood is an expansion stage direct investor, typically investing anywhere from Series A all the way up to pre-IPO across all sectors. Our team has a proven ability to dynamically allocate capital across multiple investment strategies within the private markets.
Knollwood is seeking to add a new pre-MBA analyst to its investment team in Baltimore, MD. The Analyst program at Knollwood is structured as a two to three year assignment, after which it is anticipated the candidate will attempt to receive their MBA and will then be evaluated for a position within the team or move on to another position outside the firm.
Analyst’s at Knollwood will learn the venture capital and private equity businesses and will engage across all functions of the firm’s investment strategies, including fund, direct, and secondary transactions on a global basis. The Analyst will have exposure to the entire deal process from origination and due-diligence through deal structuring and post-investment portfolio management. The position will also support data collection and processing, portfolio and manager analytics, and the technology and systems associated with these functions. This role is a balance between financial analysis, business strategy, and sharp execution. The ideal candidate is interested in growing businesses, has superior analytical skills, is extremely organized and is a prolific writer who prides themselves on thoughtful and eloquent communication.
We are open to candidates ranging from recent college graduates to candidates with several years of relevant work experience.
We expect that Analysts will have a broad experience at Knollwood Investment Advisory and will play multiple roles in the organization.
- Identify and research new markets and technologies
- Work with the Investment team to identify and develop investment thesis and provide financial analysis of potential investments
- Contribute to due diligence processes (e.g. industry research, market mapping/sizing, financial analysis, and other data gathering). Synthesize information to draft investment memorandums
- Extensive modeling, projection, and valuation work related to fund, direct, and secondary investments, and associated reporting
- Update and maintain proprietary investment software system, tools, and database
- Assist in the execution of critical back‐office infrastructure projects
- Various other tasks, projects, and deadlines that arise in relation to above
- Position will report to the Director of Investments
- Outstanding academic credentials with a BA/BS degree in Finance, Mathematics, Engineering, Science or related field, or equivalent practical experience
- Internship or relevant experience in a similar industry preferred
- Entrepreneurial and positive personality, including comfort working in both structured and unstructured environments
- Highly motivated, self-starter with the ability to work both independently and within a team context
- Proficiency in Excel (including advanced functions), Word, and PowerPoint
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong financial analysis and modeling skills, and the ability to interpret data and provide relevant insights
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, and ability to manage multiple task and priorities concurrently
- Desire to learn and ability to think outside the box
- This is a two to three year role with potential career track for exceptional candidates
Knollwood’s benefits are among the best in the business. They include:
- Health Insurance (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- 401K with company match
- Personal time off
- 100% educational reimbursement