Would you like to own developing and managing relationships with Venture Capital firms, ensuring AWS is fully engaged with their best and highest potential portfolio companies, and influencing decision making towards utilizing Amazon Web Services as the basis for their portfolio companies’ infrastructure? Do you have the business savvy, technical insight, scrappiness, relationship development skills and the background necessary to mesh with the startup/VC ecosystem and to help further establish Amazon as the leader in the cloud computing space?
As a business development manager within AWS, you will have the exciting opportunity to help shape and deliver on a strategy to build mindshare and broad use of Amazon’s cloud computing platform within the Venture Capital community.
As a VC business development manager within AWS, you will have the exciting opportunity to help shape and deliver on a strategy to build mindshare and broad use of Amazon’s cloud computing platform within the venture-backed startup sector. Your responsibilities will include identifying appropriate VCs to target, driving the necessary business, strategic and technical relationships with the VCs and their portfolio companies to establish new business in those accounts, and to work closely with the AWS sales team drive the day-to-day interactions with the portfolio companies in order to build long-term business opportunity. You’ll also work closely with AWS strategic corporate development, business development, product management and marketing teams on strategic initiatives that tie into the startup community, as well as other lines of business within the broader Amazon organization.
The ideal candidate will possess both a business background that enables them to drive an engagement and interact at the General Partner/CxO/VP level, as well as a technical background that enables them to easily interact with software developers and architects. He/she should also have a demonstrated ability to think strategically and analytically about business, product, and technical challenges, with the ability to build and convey compelling value propositions, and work cross-organizationally to build consensus. A keen sense of ownership, drive, and scrappiness is a must.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Serve as a key member of the Startup Business Development team in helping to drive overall AWS market and technical strategy with the startup ecoystem.
- Build and manage relationships with top Bay Area VC firms to educate VCs on how AWS can enable their portfolio companies to develop and test new ideas and run critical business applications on the AWS cloud platform.
- Work closely with VCs and their portfolio companies to ensure the portfolio companies are successfully using the AWS platform, making sure they have the technical and business resources required for a great customer experience, and identifying additional opportunities for their portfolio companies to more deeply engage with AWS and other relevant Amazon business units.
- Execute the strategic business development plan while working with key internal stakeholders (e.g. sales teams, marketing, legal, support, etc.).
- Prepare and give business reviews to the senior management team regarding progress and roadblocks to establishing new engagements.
- Handle a high volume of engagements and the fast pace of the cloud computing market
- Experienced with account management (Enterprise, SMB and startup) and solution selling ability
- Some relevant technical knowledge is helpful, such as: database systems, core distributed computing concepts, fundamentals of cloud computing and virtualization, storage systems, content delivery networks (CDNs) etc. with ability to go deep enough on technical aspects to differentiate between varied data storage services.
- Some travel required
- Deep experience and knowledge within the startup and venture capital ecosystem.
- Technical and analytical, possessing 10+ years of business development, venture capital, executive leadership, technical sales, or program/product management experience.
- Some relevant business level technical knowledge is required, such as: database systems, core distributed computing concepts, fundamentals of cloud computing and virtualization, storage systems, content delivery networks (CDNs) etc. with ability to go deep enough on technical aspects to differentiate between varied AWS services
- Experience working within the technology industry and startup ecosystem is highly desired
- Strong verbal and written communications skills are a must, as well as leadership skills.
- Degree required
- Experience with account management, relationship management, business development and solution selling
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations.
- MBA or equivalent executive level experience