CincyTech is the most active seed and early stage investor in Southwest Ohio, and one of the most active in the Midwest. We focus on funding and supporting technology-based start-ups that have the potential to grow fast and impact our regional economy by delivering world-changing products to the market. For those interested in a career in venture capital there are few entry level opportunities in the country, and few in the Midwest. CincyTech is a great place to start.
CincyTech offers entrepreneurs early stage financing, management assistance, capital syndication and strategic connections. As one of the most active seed investors in the Midwest, the company’s funds invest in 8-10 new companies per year and lead or participate in 10-20 follow-on financings per year. Accordingly, we have a fast paced, dynamic work environment and seek an investment professional looking to contribute to our success.
To date, CincyTech and its LPs have invested over $70MM in 77 different portfolio companies, and has attracted over $850MM in additional follow-on funding for those companies. CincyTech is currently investing out of CincyTech Fund IV, LLC, a $30.75 million seed stage fund.
As an integral member of the team, this role will provide support throughout the upcoming fundraising effort including market assessment, competitive and comparative fund analyses, business and prospect development (institution and individual), and project management. On an ongoing basis, the role will continue to provide support to business, client and company development, helping to elevate CincyTech’s reputation and role in the ecosystem.
Who we’re looking for:
CincyTech is looking for smart, driven, and intellectually curious individuals to add to our team. Our ideal candidate is deeply interested in how the world works, has demonstrated the ability to work independently and accomplish critical tasks on time, and is comfortable with the large degrees of uncertainty that accompany venture investing in very early stage companies. We are looking for people who are creative in their approach to analysis, willing to dig to gain insight, capable of effectively synthesizing their work into relevant insights and actions, and very strong, multi-dimensional communicators (verbal, written, presentation skills). We are very open to a
variety of academic backgrounds, including but not limited to finance, software engineering, life-sciences/medical, and humanities.
Job responsibilities lie in 3 main areas:
● Research and conduct due diligence on comparative/competitive cities -- what is going on elsewhere, who is doing what, comparative history
● Assessment of potential institutional partners -- As potential source of deal flow, understand process/history/results at identified set of institutions
● Support CEO and Fundraising efforts as needed
● Market assessment of potential institutional/partner prospects (ie Fifth Third, Kroger, P&G, Cincinnati Financial, W&S, Christ, etc)
● Work with EIR Strategy on efforts to establish, cultivate and grow new relationships
● Once established, support implementation
● As needed, support CincyTech leaders in meeting prep and follow up on prospects and investor relations
Travel: Select opportunities to represent the firm at local and national industry events
● Bachelor’s degree (minimum)
● Strong analytical and quantitative skills, coupled with ability to synthesize and translate into meaningful actions
● Strong communication, organization, and prioritization skills
● Demonstrated work experience, ideally post college (2+ years); If not full time work experience, strong summer/part time professional experience with demonstrated results and impact
● Strong track record working with external partners and across boundaries (within and across organizations)
● Interest in the venture capital / start-up ecosystem and fast-paced work environment
● Management/strategy consulting, sales and marketing, financial analyst experience preferred
Position reports to: Mike Venerable, CEO with regular coaching, training and development support from Jennifer Dauer, Executive in Residence
Location: CincyTech office in Cincinnati, OH, Over-the-Rhine Neighborhood
Interested candidates can reach out directly to Jennifer Dauer (email@example.com) with their resume attached.