Citi, the leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Our core activities are safeguarding assets, lending money, making payments and accessing the capital markets on behalf of our clients.
Citi’s Mission and Value Proposition explains what we do and Citi Leadership Standards explain how we do it. Our mission is to serve as a trusted partner to our clients by responsibly providing financial services that enable growth and economic progress. We strive to earn and maintain our clients’ and the public’s trust by constantly adhering to the highest ethical standards and making a positive impact on the communities we serve. Our Leadership Standards is a common set of skills and expected behaviors that illustrate how our employees should work every day to be successful and strengthens our ability to execute against our strategic priorities.
Diversity is a key business imperative and a source of strength at Citi. We serve clients from every walk of life, every background and every origin. Our goal is to have our workforce reflect this same diversity at all levels. Citi has made it a priority to foster a culture where the best people want to work, where individuals are promoted based on merit, where we value and demand respect for others and where opportunities to develop to are widely available to all.
Citi Ventures (CV) is Citi’s corporate innovation arm. Through Venture Investing, CV aims to deliver breakthrough impact by bringing together leading startups and Citi’s businesses to scale innovation and open new pathways to growth.
The Venture Investing team focuses on identifying and investing in entrepreneurs who will help define the future of financial services. The team brings together Citi’s business needs with portfolio companies’ technologies, services and business models to accelerate Citi’s ability to evolve in a dynamic marketplace and help portfolio companies scale. For this reason, the venture investing team focuses on next generation fintech, commerce and payments, big data and analytics, cybersecurity, enterprise IT, and enterprise software domains.
The Venture Investing team is seeking a highly motivated individual to help build intelligence within the areas of enterprise technology/software and/or Fintech. The individual will build connectivity in the relevant ecosystem, identify and source leading startups, perform due diligence on potential investment opportunities and assist in portfolio company management and reporting. He/she will play a critical role in developing and advancing thought leadership and domain strategy to support Citi’s businesses by fostering new idea generation, synthesizing the market landscape, and translating new innovative ideas into successful commercial outcomes.
This position reports to the Managing Director and requires a highly credible professional with broad business acumen to understand emerging business models and new technologies. The candidate must also possess the interpersonal skills to effectively nurture new relationships in the start-up ecosystem, provide valuable advice to shape start-up product road maps, influence and manage relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including executives in the local, regional and corporate offices. Most importantly, the individual must be relentlessly curious, as well as passionate about championing change. The person in this position will work very closely with the senior leadership team within Ventures to help drive POC’s, pilots, and commercialization opportunities.
Position Scope & Responsibilities:
- Complete 1-2 potential strategic investment opportunities in relevant companies per year
- Build a network and pipeline of leading startups that fit within the Citi Ventures focus areas
- Meet regularly with VC’s and innovation partners to maintain a pulse on market developments
- Develop market landscapes and POV’s on emerging trends
- Work with the MD to design the due diligence plan, lead the due diligence process, write investment memos, and guide opportunities end-to-end through the Citi Ventures investment process
- Assist MDs with portfolio company management, monitoring and reporting
- Interface/interact with colleagues in business units to understand strategic roadmaps
- Work with existing portfolio companies to ensure their roadmaps are aligned to address Citi’s challenges and to help them succeed in the market
- Contribute to external communications to show Citi thought leadership and represent Citi Ventures at external events
- Lead discussions at domain meetings/Town Halls and other internal events to effectively represent Citi Ventures' view of the market
- Bachelor’s degree from a top-tier program, preferably in an analytical discipline
- A total of 5+ years work experience beyond undergrad
- A demonstrated interest in Venture Capital or Entrepreneurship; preference for candidates with at least 2 years’ experience with a venture capital firm or in a corporate venture setting
- Experience in Investment Banking or Strategy Consulting or Product Management is a plus
- Ability to navigate a large financial services company, and engage senior leadership
- Strong relationship management, communication, interpersonal, and influencing skills at all levels within or outside of an organization
- MBA is a plus
EEO Statement: Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Minority/Female/Veteran/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Pay Transparency: Citi won’t discriminate against anyone for discussing pay, but those with access to pay data in their work can’t disclose it unless responding to complaints/investigations or legal requirements.